Friday, May 28, 2010

Music In Review: Mumford and Sons-Sigh No More


       Ok, so I was at my brother's wedding and was chatting with one of my cousins and he said that I needed to check out Mumford and Sons.  I was like "OK" but I guess it just went into the swimming pool of my mind where everything drowns and is forgotten.  Well I recently was being bored to death by god knows what so I went to the ever-reliable youtube. I was looking through some covers and there was one of Mumford and Sons' Little Lion Man so i listened and thouroughly enjoyed it and then listened to the actual song and loved it even more so i just continued to listen to their debut album "Sigh No More" which was released in the Us on February 16.  
       Now that I have listened to the whole album (multiple times) I can truly say that I love Mumford and Sons.  Formed in 2007 by lead vocalist and guitarist Marcus Mumford, along with Marshall 'Country' Winston, Ben Lovett, and Ted Dwane, this indie folk band came out of London.  This band brings a sweet tune with a quartet of strings such as the double bass, the banjo, and the mandolin.  Having listened to this album repeatedly I can truly say that there is no bad songs...as of a matter of fact, there or no mediocre songs...all the songs are amazing.  With the sound that combines a little bit of The Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes, and  Beirut (Gulag Orkestar album), along with a small orchestra/choir sound, and their own originality, this band has the potential to become huge.  
       The lyrics are another thing to be impressed by too.  If you listen closely to the lyrics, you will be blown away.  "Sigh No More" has amazing flow to it and all the makings of an spectacular album.  I know that it was originally released in the UK in October of '09 but I will include it in this year's collection since 1) it wasn't released in the US 'till '10 and 2) I just started listening to them. I LOVE THIS ALBUM

Songs to Check Out:
-Little Lion Man
-Winter Wind
-The Cave
-Awaken My Soul


Rating: 9.6

No comments:

Post a Comment