Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Time Abroad

      So I am about 2 1/2 months into my semester abroad in Italy.  I'm based in Florence and I consider it to be one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been in.  This experience is a chance that I could not have passed up.  Studying abroad is something that I always thought I would do but never had the realization of doing it until my parents encouraged me to do it.  After that there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to study abroad, especially after talking to my brother who said he regretted not ever taking the opportunity to study abroad.  As I have been here and experienced a whole new world, I have realized that moments like these should be taken full advantage of.  I came to Europe when I was 16 and enjoyed it but being a four years older has given me the understanding on how to really encase my mind around the coolness that I have been presented with.  I have made every chance to travel (even though it has landed me pretty much broke) from all over Italy to Spain, Austria, Czech Republic, and Greece.  Its not everyday that i can just say, "Hey! I feel like going to Athens for the weekend," and then actually be able to do that.  
      Since I have been over here I have discovered that there are stages that someone who still relies on mommy and daddy's penny to get you by goes through while being away from home for an extended period of time (this does not count family vacations for 2 weeks, this includes at least several months): 1) The exhilarating thrill of being in a new environment and being able to experience the culture. 2) The short session of missing home.  This occurs after the first couple of weeks when you have done exploring the new place your are in and you realize that your laundry needs to be done and mommy is not there to do it for you.  You quickly realize that she is not there and you have to do it for yourself. 3) After your little homesick stage you begin to accept this new way of living  and you start becoming a more independent person.  You make your own food you clean your room in order for you not to live in filth and you take on other responsibilities that you would not take on at home. 4) After about the second or third month you get into this stage where you have a legit reason for missing home.  Your whole life is back there, your family friends, and even pets.  You miss being able to do the stuff you used to do without realizing that you take it for granted such as  driving in your car going to hang out with some friends and maybe going to an awesome party at a college apartment.  I'm not saying you don't make friends.  You do, you make great friends that you will hopefully keep in touch with when you get back, but right now its not the comfiness that your used to back at home. 5) I have not reached this stage but I believe I will.  This will occur a week or two before you leave. You will realize that your time is coming to an end and you don't want to leave.  You realize that you have had one hell of an experience and you want it to continue.  Then you realize that you need to get back to the real world cause that is where you belong.
      My experiences here have taught me many things.  It has taught me to be responsible for who I am and what I do.  I have recently watched Zombieland (a fantastic comedy/horror movie) and in the movie the main character, Columbus, has a list to survive in this post-apocalyptic world (and I'm not saying that the world is a nightmare) and #32 on his list is "Enjoy the Little Things."  I believe this is true no matter what world you live in.  As long as you can find joy in the most insignificant things you will keep on rolling though the walls that stand in your way.  The last thing I deem important in the things that I have learned abroad is relationships.  Having spend time with 15 other college mates of mine (and many other college students from across the US) is something I hold of value.  The more people you can share an experience like this with the better off you will be.  To come here and make new friends and build relationships with them is what I hope the most to take back to college with me (besides the pics and touristy souvenirs).
      I will undoubtedly miss Italy and all that it has given me but I will be ready to get on with the normal and familiar life that I am used to.  This experience has prepped me for after college and how I will fend for myself.  It has made me stronger and I will never take this opportunity for granted.










No comments:

Post a Comment